Fake Identification or Fake Driver's License
Have you been cited for using a fake id? This could be if you used a fake identification card to try to make a purchase or if you presented a fake driver's license to an officer when he stopped you.
Possession of a Fake Identification Card
Penal Code Section 470b provides: Every person who displays or causes or permits to be displayed or has in his or her possession any driver’s license or identification card of the type enumerated in Section 470a with the intent that the driver’s license or identification card be used to facilitate the commission of any forgery, is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail for not more than one year, or by imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170
Possession of a Fake Identification Card While Driving (Unlawful Use of License)
Under Vehicle Code section 14610:
(a) It is unlawful for any person:
(1) To display or cause or permit to be displayed or have in his possession any canceled, revoked, suspended, fictitious, fraudulently altered, or fraudulently obtained driver’s license.
(2) To lend his driver’s license to any other person or knowingly permit the use thereof by another.
(3) To display or represent any driver’s license not issued to him as being his license.
(4) To fail or refuse to surrender to the department upon its lawful demand any driver’s license which has been suspended, revoked or canceled.
(5) To permit any unlawful use of a driver’s license issued to him.
(6) To do any act forbidden or fail to perform any act required by this division.
(7) To photograph, photostat, duplicate, or in any way reproduce any driver’s license or facsimile thereof in such a manner that it could be mistaken for a valid license, or to display or have in his possession any such photograph, photostat, duplicate, reproduction, or facsimile unless authorized by the provisions of this code.
(8) To alter any driver’s license in any manner not authorized by this code.
(b) For purposes of this section, “driver’s license” includes a temporary permit to operate a motor vehicle.
What to do?
If you were cited for using a fake id to purchase alcohol or try to drive when otherwise unable to and were cited, then there will be a court hearing to determine whether you will be charged with a crime. You can attend the court hearings yourself, or you can hire an attorney to handle the court hearings for you. If you hire an attorney, you would not need to attend the court hearings and the attorney goes for you to court, obtains the reports about the incident, and negotiates the case for you with the prosecuting agency, either the District Attorney or City Attorney depending on where the underlying violation occurred.
Call us today to find out how we can help and answer any questions you may have.